Sarah Says: My Top Book Recommendations

 As promised, a new blog series here called "Sarah Says" with my personal recommendations on things I love. I will review books, travel destinations, household products/decor, Zen living (yoga mats, essential oils, etc.) and clothing/cosmetics as well as some of my favorite Amazon finds. If you can think of something you'd like reviewed by yours truly-let me know and I would be happy to look into it more!

Today, we talk books. I am an avid reader, always have been, and while I work a bit less this summer and early fall I am getting to indulge almost to my heart's desire. If you too love to spend an entire day curled up with a book-or if you get in snippets between chasing toddlers and cleaning up messes, I have some great books for you. All books are recommended based on nothing more than my personal taste and the emotions they stirred up in me. 

June Goals give or take a few ;)

Disclaimer #1: I will try to tell you in the post and in future book reviews if a book has any sensitive subject matter such as rape, abuse, violence. That being said, I read over 50 books a year and may simply forget-so please do your own quick perusal of the subject matter-Goodreads (which I love!) has a summary paragraph or two on just about any book you can imagine without giving the whole plot away. 

Disclaimer #2: Again, these are based on what I like best. I read books from all genres, but my absolute favorite books are twisty, creepy, psychological thrillers. I don't do much gore-so not true "horror" books and sometimes these type books are triggering to some. These are really ones I recommend you do a quick look at before diving in.

Disclaimer #3: What makes a book enjoyable is different to each reader. For me, I want something that takes me away where I feel immersed in the narrative and setting. Or I want a quick page-turner. Or I want to learn something. I will tell you why I liked each book recommended and if those reasons spark your interest-pick one up!

Whew! Can we get to some great books now? Some of these books are brand new (might even be to be released as I have been able to read a few ARC-Advanced Reader Copies). Some are not new at all but read by me in past year or 2. Grab a cup of coffee or tea as we get started and have your wish list ready!

You can follow me on Goodreads at: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2452430-sarah -don't be too annoyed with me that I don't assign categories to all the books I read! It just became too time consuming-and Instagram where I frequently post book related content at https://www.instagram.com/sarahwhowanders_/


Suspense/Thriller:

These are my favorite books to blow through in one sitting! The twistier the better! Please note that many psychological thrillers like Behind Closed Doors have themes of abuse. My absolute favorites of the past 2 years (and I was taking a break and trying to read more other styles!) were The Wife Upstairs, The Invisible Girl and Verity. I did not give a short byline for each book below, but they were all favorites of mine-look them up!









Novel/Fiction:For lack of a different category, here are some other amazing reads! Can you tell that in the past year Kristin Hannah has become one of my favorite authors? You really can't miss with her fiction and historical fiction tales. The Great Alone has worked it's way to my ALL TIME FAVORITE BOOKS list as has Magic Hour. Where the Crawdads Sing is an amazing book, if you love Hollywood Glamour, romance, and a woman making her way in the world-The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is an enjoyable read.



Historical Fiction: I discovered a love for historical fiction the end of last year and below are some of my favorites. The Nightingale and The Tattooist of Auschwitz are MUST reads in my opinion. The Lost Apothecary is a tiny bit fantasy meets history meets present day woman finding herself. I enjoyed immensely. Send For Me was a 5 star read for me. 












Dystopian: 

I went through a huge dystopian/young adult phase for many years but have not read too many in this genre lately. The entire Hunger Games series, The Maze Runner, Divergent series were all very good. The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes is a Hunger Games prequel that sheds more light on the childhood of none other than President Snow. I really enjoyed this one. You can read it before the series, or as released and read after. 


Fantasy: 

I am not entirely sure what genre The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue belongs in. I can tell you I absolutely loved this book. What if you made a deal with Darkness to live forever with one caveat: no one will ever remember you-is life worth living at that point? Oona Out of Order was one of my favorites of 2020! It is fantasy/contemporary fiction/time travel/magical realism. The internet is also not quite sure where to put her, but she is worth reading! A book I recommend you listen to on Audible rather than read is The House in the Cerulean Sea-the narration is amazing, and this book is like candy for your soul-trust me. A Discovery of Witches is a series that is like Twilight for adults: vampires, witches, a magic world that exists alongside reality. It is also on TV now. The Midnight Library explores what life looks like when we turn left at the street-corner instead of right. If you could see each possible turn your life could take (all laid out for you in books), would you choose a different path? In The Wicked Deep 3 girls who were accused of being witches and drowned come back each summer to haunt the seaside city (in Oregon no less) that condemned them by making boys fall in love --when they embody local girls-- and leading them out to sea.





Romance: 

One to Watch was a delightful, hilarious read. Italy, love, and a family curse? The Star-Crossed Sisters of Tuscany sure delivers. One of few books I have read that I just savored (I typically blow through books!). Remember that old Bill Murray movie Groundhog Day where he relives each day until he gets it right? In a Holidaze is a Christmas romance with room for re-dos. The Dating Plan is laugh out loud funny and steamy in turns, while Instamom (to be released later this month) is your favorite Rom-Com where an Insta influencer who has made a following on her choice to never have kids falls in love with none other than a single dad. 




Contemporary Fiction: 

Another genre bending tale, Good Luck with That  is woman's fiction, contemporary, meets romance. It deals with some tough issues surrounding weight loss. I rated it a MUST read. It feels weird to put What Comes After in the same category, but this book is also a MUST READ NOW in my opinion. It centers on a small town torn apart after the brutal killing of two teen boys and well...what comes after for the families and friends. In turns heartbreaking, heartwarming, and spiritual-this book has it all. 



Science Fiction:

You had me at "False Memory Syndrome." My whole family (hubby, mom, dad, and 15 year-old son) all read and loved this book. For lovers of the movie Inception, this book is for you. See if you can keep up with all of the time shifts and turns. 


Memoir: 

Memoirs are not typically my cup of tea (even though I write in this style-so go figure!) but oh The Beauty in Breaking-this one however was brave and beautiful. When Breath Becomes Air also garners a mention for beautiful, thought-provoking prose and for all of us who have wondered how life might change if we knew we were dying (though aren't we all?).



Self-Help: 

Untamed is one of the most amazing, go be a damn cheetah girl!-books I have ever read. I borrowed a friend's copy and will buy my own to re-read and highlight. Told as Glennon Doyle's own life story, the book is chock-full of lessons for life and for becoming authentically you. Pardon the cursing, but sometimes we need it to get ourselves in gear-yes? Buy Yourself the Fucking Lilies is also a book that will leave you feeling pumped and ready to take on the world. 



Well, if you hung with me this long or even just skimmed to the end-congrats! I hope you found a few new reads. I personally love my monthly mail-order book club of sorts Book of the Month where I get my choice out of 5 new, hardcover reads each month for $14.99 and can add on 2 more hard-covers for $9.99 each. They have a great selection. You can look into them here at my link, and no-I do not work for them in the least though do get a free selection should you sign up: https://www.mybotm.com/096med629cmwvcxr?show_box=true
Also, I can direct you to many Facebook groups for buying, selling, swapping, gifting, and discussing all things books if you would like-just comment on this blog or link. 

It's time to go read!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sarah Who Wanders -Travel Series Part 1: Introduction

The Career Happiness Scale....Where do you Rate?

Travel Bucket List Accomplished