Sarah Says: Skin Care, Bath and Beauty-What's in my Bathroom?

I really am quite a simple creature, though many of you probably don't believe that. 

You see me with my hair not a messy wreck and mascara on (I almost ALWAYS have mascara on mind you because my lashes are like nonexistent!), and you think "she has it all together,"-or maybe you don't think that and I flatter myself hahaha!  While it is true that I often have polish on my finger and toenails and a lightly made up face, it is only because I enjoy these things. Often going anywhere outside my home-including to work-garners a bit more effort, but I promise you I am NOT a girl that takes hours to get ready-Not that there is anything wrong with that! I have honestly had to pare down my routine and products (I may have used to have been that girl!) so that I can fit in things that are also important to me in getting ready for the day: yoga, time with God, and uh...more sleep! My most relaxed self is as pictured below, tank top/camisole from Old Navy, leggings, yoga tee-comfy and calm.

 For me to love a product it has to be easy. It has to make me feel a little bit spoiled because it smells really good or needs to do what it says it does very well. I am not a stickler to any one brand, but when I find the things I like I tend to stick with them. Here are my top recommendations. Many can be found on Amazon, at Bath and Body Works or on QVC (my mom is an avid watcher/shopper and has found many great deals), Sephora or Ulta (as QVC carries many of their brands). This post is mainly photos from my own products and of course, my opinions.  

Simple girl here with 5 min makeup-if you happen to know a product that makes this crazy, wavy hair look halfway decent when dry (see pic below!)-I am all ears. I have tried many and man-nothing tames this-Hence why it is often curled or straightened-but that takes SO much more work and time, and I just don't have it in me everyday!

My favorite body wash that also multi-tasks as bubble bath or shampoo and comes in many "flavors" is from Philosophy. Their Cinnamon Buns wash is also so yummy! I feel like this stuff lasts forever too. The Candy Cane was a holiday scent, and I love how light and refreshing it is. These super-size foaming, moisturizing gels are $30, but they last me 5-8 months (I was trading off with another for a few months). That makes them a steal! I have included a link here-you can bet I have my eyes on Apple Cider for fall! Philosophy Bath Gels

I probably should have paid way more attention to skin care sooner than I did-especially as a girl from Central Valley, California who spent the first two decades of my life "laying out" by the pool. My mom has beautiful, youthful skin-so when she got me (and my dad too!) hooked on this I have been using it religiously every morning. Dr. Denese brand skin care. The hydrating "hydroshield dream cream" is light, but very moisturizing and does not have much scent-which I like. Also, while these sets are pretty pricey, I could probably get by with just the facewash and the dream cream, dropping the serum which I use every few days. I might miss it, but that would be more affordable. I replace the lotion (dream cream) the most often at about every 3 months which makes it less than $16 a month. I linked the dream cream here and you can look at other sets online: Dr. Denese Hydrating Hydroshield Dream Cream

Notice how I said I use the skincare every morning. Well-I do use the lotion morning and night, but I am super lazy about washing off my make-up in the evenings, so these make-up wipes are always a must have in my house. They are also perfect for travel. We keep some in our camp trailer as well. You can find these anywhere-I have them on Prime Pantry with Amazon so I never run out!

Because no matter how good I treat my skin and diet, acne happens.
This little tube lasts a long time to spot treat trouble areas. Differin Gel
Well, have you seen the commercials? Hahaha! They are some of the most amusing commercials ever. It really does work and is nice when you want to leave the bathroom with it still smelling like the delicate flower you are. "Spray the toilet before you go and no-one else will ever know!" These are seriously lifesavers for a teen boy bathroom that doubles as a guest bath and essential for shared baths when traveling. Poo-Pourri. While maybe not skin care or beauty-it's definitely a bathroom product!


Bath and Body Works Aromatherapy line is my favorite for both bubble baths and day to day body lotion that I use right after showering. I am sensitive to scents and find this line lightly fragrant and pleasant. The ones pictured are my favorite scents: Zen Garden, Stress Relief and Mimosa Spearmint- though Sunrise Yoga, Sleep and Energy from this line are also great. I wait for their sales then pick up a few. I also stock our bathrooms with their foaming hand soaps. These products probably also belong on my Finding Zen post that is in the works. Bath and Body Aromatherapy

Always on hand, always in travel bag. 
I refuse to be the stinky girl. Also on Prime Pantry/Auto-Delivery. This deodorant has made it through many tropical, humid vacations as well as many nerve-wracking events (clinical, interviews) and never needs reapplied. Secret Clinical Strenth

My favorite lip products are all pretty simple. Young Living makes a great Essential Oils chapstick, and Sun Bum a chapstick with SPF, Rimmel is my favorite long-wearing, liquid lipstick that comes in many colors, and Arrow Boost Color Enhancing Lip Balm came in a Birch Box kit I received ages ago and imparts a nice color and shine-I will re-purchase this one for sure: Arrow Boost Color Enhancing Lip Balm. Rimmel and Sun Bum are available on Amazon-I did not link, but you can easily find, and Young Living brand products are for order from a Young Living member-which I happen to be only to get deals on my essential oils. I have linked the website below and am happy to help you order should you ever want anything. I only sell to my mom currently haha. Young Living



When I am wearing my hair with any shades of blonde in it, the Violet shampoo and toning spray help eliminate brassiness. I only use once every few weeks because those platinum strands will turn purple (with any shampoo like this) so you have to be careful. I get this from my salon, but you can also get it from Amazon here: Surface Violet Shampoo and here: Surface Violet Leave-In Toning Spray

The Olivia Garden Fingerbrush can be used on hair wet and dry. Love it!
 Best hairbrush ever for my thick, naturally a nest of waves hair: Olivia Garden Fingerbrush
My 5 minute make-up consists of: Maybelline Dream BB Fresh which evens my skintone without being thick like a foundation, Thrive Causemetics Triple Threat Color Stick (I use as blush but can be used also as eyeshadow and lipcolor), IT Cosmetics Hello Light highlighter, the Arrow Boost Color Enhancing Lip-Balm also pictured above, Maybelline Brow Precise, Neutrogena gel pencil in Smoky Plum and Tarte Cosmetics eyeshadow (I choose colors daily based on my mood!). Most products are available in drugstores and Amazon. The Tarte cosmetics palette was a limited edition but you can find options here: Tarte Eyeshadow Palettes. The highlighting cream is here and comes with lipstick: IT Hello Light Set. Thrive Causemetics is a cruelty free make-up brand that has amazing "lash tint"-aka mascara that is not flaky and is waterproof. I also love their multi-tasking color stick. Liquid Lash Extensions and Triple Threat Color Stick-I use Peachy. 




 
I like options. This is a great palette from Tarte, who has many color palettes available. I think this was a limited holiday one...I often receive (AMAZING) gifts like this from my parents each Christmas as my mama knows exactly what I love. 
I really like the eyeshadow quad options from Young Living, Savvy Minerals collections as well (I have found quite a few Young Living products I like) and the Panasonic personal facial trimmer for keeping up on any facial/eyebrow fuzzies Women's facial trimmer

Color Street nail polish strips are the only reason my nails are almost always done. They are seriously super easy to apply and come in so many options. These are a direct sales product (a bit like Young Living) and I am not a member, but I do have a great gal on Facebook and can point you in her direction. 

Any questions for me? What Beauty products can you not live without? Talk to me if you also have unruly, thick, dry (not soft), naturally wavy hair that you let air-dry  if you have found a product that helps you to not look like Medusa? While I use hair oil and have tried many mousse, gel and frizz-taming products-this hair sill needs help! 😆
Medusa-esque

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sarah Who Wanders -Travel Series Part 1: Introduction

The Career Happiness Scale....Where do you Rate?

Travel Bucket List Accomplished