I Should Probably be Studying Right Now





Can't wait!
I am officially in the trenches of term 1 out of 7 of nurse practitioner school. I have gone from excited to oh my God what did I sign up for throughout most days so far. I thought that nursing school was tough. I have said it before, the work was not always hard, but the sheer live, eat, breathe everythingness of it was exhausting. I have leveled up. I feel like I have learned more in the past few weeks than I did in all of nursing school though I am sure that is not an equal comparison at all, it is just how my muddled brain feels. The A LOT-ness of it is overwhelming. I am in the part-time, 2 1/2 year program as the full-time program actually has in writing in multiple places, no working during this program is recommended at all. So, in order to not totally ruin our finances, I am going slightly longer. I take 2-3 courses a semester for the first year, and then I go to an "immersion" weekend on campus in Boston which will be dreadful (clinical skills check-off anyone) and exciting (white coat ceremony) then start clinical placements which I am sure come with their own basket of terrors, yet right now my goal is to get through first year and into clinical. 

Who am I kidding? Right now my goal is to pass my first 2 classes with the required 83% or above (or the class is considered failed). 

Okay, really truly my goal is to pass each week, each assignment step-by-step. Baby steps y'all, one day at a time. 

I feel utterly, completely vindicated in my perceived (and oh so correct) need to work just 16-19 hours a week. I still wonder how I will get it all in, and YES, I should probably be studying right now. That could be my motto for the next few years. Maybe, I'll make a few sweatshirts up. 

One can only study so much though. To give you a rough idea, I spent 19 hours on school-work last week and 25 hours working. Fill in other gaps with sleep, caring for the home, wife-ing, and mom-ing because these things must still happen too. This week I anticipate 17 hours of work and only 16-18 hours of study due to some other obligations (Matthew has basketball game that I will go watch and neurology consult for migraines that I am going to, I have a hair appointment, we have friends coming over on Saturday, etc) so I may have to step up my game next week for sure. 

What classes should REALLY be called. 
What makes NP school so difficult so far? It is just time consuming. I spent 5-6 HOURS on four case studies for advanced pathophysiology, and another 3 hours researching viable topics for my research class before settling on social media and depression in teens. It is also one level up from RN school I suppose. Not only do I need to know diseases, but I need to know what tests I would order and what they indicate (down to a cellular level) in order to know how I would eventually diagnose diseases. I like that. I like the idea of diagnosing and treating...so I keep trucking. 

In other news, I like my new position at the clinic so far. I will be covering for a few months in urology before floating elsewhere, and it is far more fascinating than I thought encompassing issues such as prostate cancer/biopsies, all things bladder, erectile dysfunction, etc. The nurse can do many procedural things on his/her own even instilling anti-neoplastic medication (think chemo) into the bladder, and assisting the doctors with surgeries such as vasectomies in office. Very cool. The staff is excellent, and I am happy to be there for now. 

Well, I better go actually study. This cancer chapter is not going to read itself. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Bucket List Accomplished

Pura Vida in Costa Rica

Sarah Who Wanders -Travel Series Part 1: Introduction