Wanderings




I sit on our flight back right now, travel magazine in my lap, husband next to me, and the Arctic Islands below out the plane window. I am ever so grateful for the journey we just made and the way that it has filled my heart. I will never forget those brief but oh so memorable five days we just spent in Dublin and Northern Ireland. 

I don't feel my words can do justice to the power I felt of the churning Atlantic many, many (1,972 to be exact) feet below at Slieve League, nor the spirituality felt in the giant, historic cathedrals. My favorite was St. Eunan's in Letterkenny, which was built in 1890. Giant's Causeway felt otherworldly as I looked at the strange, hexagonal rocks and the tumultuous surf feeling its misty spray.  Inch Abbey humbled me with the sheer age of the ruins. We explored all alone and I felt as if at any moment we could be time travelers, experiencing the monastery in all its glory. Our bus tour of Dublin made me giggle as the driver told of the Millennium Spire, built 3 years too late and often referred to as the "Stiffy on the Liffey" and provided opportunities to see many of the city's famed sites. Our castle hotel stays were grand, and the Irish countryside simply breathtaking. I especially loved all the stone walls and walls made of hedges. Our meals were delicious and hearty. Nothing fills you up better than Irish stew with wheaten bread. Speaking of delicious, The Irish accents everywhere were absolutely delicious to hear. I only joked to Barrett a few times that some of the Irish blokes could come home with us! Kidding. Mostly. 



Ireland did not fail to impress, though of course every adventure is what you make of it. 
Our favorite places were the ruins, coastline and countryside. Dublin was fun, though Belfast wasn't really for us. We had little time to spend so we crammed in so much. We woke to alarms each morning of our vacation and drove many miles. It worked for us to make the most of the time we had, though I would love to be less rushed next time. Hours spent in the car I got to reconnect with my husband. I was grateful for that as we lead very busy lives it seems between kids and all their activities, work for each of us, and the commencement of finishing our home. I received great news while on vacation, and in 4 weeks will begin a new job as an RN on the surgical floor of Riverbend Hospital. It was nice to have time to process my thoughts regarding this and school. 


 In February we do 3 days in Barcelona, 1 day in Morocco, 2 days in Malaga, and an overnight in Amsterdam. I will be a nurse practitioner student, so the pace will likely be frenzied coupled with homework... But we'll take it. Maybe move a bit slower, though sleep is overrated when there is a country to see! The plan for school that the program sets out is a two week break every three months or so. One coincides with the boys being on summer break in August and another in December. Neither are great times to travel cost wise, but we will make the most of it. We had wanted to do Greece but I really want it to be over a school break which changes things some. Greece is not affordable in the summer nor really what we want in December. Barrett requests somewhere warm and tropical, so I'm at the drawing board to try to meet all our requirements: warm, safe, possibly ruins, and international. We are looking into Costa Rica, which has been on our list, Columbia, Grenada... We shall see. Tropical travel during summer may seem silly, but it is also at its most affordable!

In the last decade I've been so blessed. I've prayed at the Vatican and lit candles in Christchurch Cathedral. I had poffertjes in Aruba, swam with rays, turtles and eels in Hawaii, Aruba and Turks and Caicos.  I've seen sights such as Chichen Itza in Mexico and Monasterboice in Ireland. I've had gelato in Rome and hiked to glacial lakes in Canada. I don't intend to stop anytime soon, as evidenced by the planning while flying home! 


Travel changes you. 


It gives you an appreciation of other cultures and natural beauty. It stays with you. It makes you uncomfortable at times, and it should. It is often a wake-up call to understand others, to slow down with nature, to leave work and the responsibilities of day-to-day life at home. Travel is a call to action at times, a rekindling of a flame of passion, a nudge to do and be better and to just get out there and try things. Sometimes flights are interminably long, roads bumpy and winding, bathrooms small and scarce while getting around. Sometimes the food is not mouthwatering, and sometimes you feel lost. Travel makes you grateful for home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Bucket List Accomplished

Pura Vida in Costa Rica

Sarah Who Wanders -Travel Series Part 1: Introduction