Dual Living So Far

I thought I would write a short little post to update you all on how this dual living thing with my parents is actually going now that each family has their own space. It seemed like such a long journey to get here, but we have been in the house (new portion) for a few months now as all the final touches have been getting finished up.

Before the addition, we had 4 adults, 2 kids, and 3 dogs sharing 2300 square feet (which doesn't seem too bad), and our family of 4 was crammed into 2 bedrooms. We had all of our things stored in the garage/shop, and shared the living rooms and kitchen as well as the laundry room. Barrett had set up his office in the garage amidst boxes and boxes of stuff. It was doable, but it was a tight squeeze and we were often at odds about who was going to use the kitchen or the laundry, who was in charge of cleaning what, etc. Barrett was constantly interrupted while working by a flow a traffic through the garage as that is one of the main exits my parents use. Tensions would simmer high when on my only day off the washer and dryer were occupied or when Barrett cooked up meat in the kitchen and my parents wanted to cook (and they hate the smell as they are vegetarian). Our 2 boisterous boys are indeed the apples of my parents eyes, but I know the constant NOISE of them was a bit much at times.
When we were just getting started, 1 year ago

Fast forward to now. We took over a few hundred square feet from my parents (what a HUGE gift, as was encouraging us to build here!), re-purposing/re-doing the 2 downstairs bedrooms and then added an additional 1700 square feet. I believe we have around 1900 sq ft and they about 2100. It is a BIG house overall at just around 4000 sq ft with 2 bedrooms, 2 master suites with bath, 3 more bathrooms, 2 laundry rooms, 3 living rooms, an office, and 2 kitchens. I know it sounds like a lot, but remember, 6 adults, 2 kids, 3 dogs! Our homes divide after the boys' bedrooms, giving us a 3 bedroom, 2 bath with office over on our side. It is plenty and has made ALL the difference in the world.

 For starters, each boy has their own room again (we had this in Brownsville, and I wanted to give them this again as they get older). It has given them each a space of their own and each room is as unique as they are from one another. Matt's is log cabin style, featuring his rock collection, sports awards on the wall and a small walk-in closet. Isaiah has bright blues, greens and grays, his keyboard, an industrial locker desk, and cool corner bookshelf. Barrett now has an office which he decided to share with me so that I too have a work-space for when I am in classes again. Since I average 4 work-days a week, he is alone in it mostly, and able to have a professional area in which to do his job. We cook over here all the time (well mainly Barrett, as he likes to) and do laundry whenever we want. My parents have been updating the rooms of their side, and I give them advice on colors and decor (they take some of it!). There is privacy to lounge around half my day off un-showered and on the internet haha, to watch what we want on tv, etc.

My parents once again have their privacy which we were encroaching on. They are cooking more and seem all around happier. My dad has moved all his exercise equipment into the garage and has thus freed up part of the huge shop. One section is an indoor area for boys to shoot hoops and play, and one part has Barrett's lathe, and machining paraphernalia and re-loading gear (Barrett makes things from metal as a hobby as well as re-loads his own bullets). I have an amazing closet and master suite which is what I wanted, and many areas to relax and read or study when the time comes.

The best part? How we all work together. Our whole family cheered on Matthew at his first soccer game of the season yesterday. We are taking turns with who makes breakfast and runs the kids to and from school. My dad is retired and Barrett works from home, so their flexibility is amazing. My mom and I both commute in opposite directions to work, but I know we are both thankful to come home after a long day and know that the home, kids, and pets have been well cared for. Nothing will ever be perfect, but this has been a huge improvement, and we are all very thankful.

And for those wondering, so far, YES the door between the homes is closed all the time! ;)
...But we see the "neighbors" often.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Bucket List Accomplished

Pura Vida in Costa Rica