Sarah Says: Summer of Self-Care? (Summer of LOVE was Already Taken!)

 This has been the best summer of my life, and still has another month to go! Since completing my MSN/FNP program and becoming board certified in May, I have been enjoying the most PERFECTLY BALANCED schedule. I am working just 16-20 hours per week still as an RN and there is glorious time available. If this is at all in your budget ever in this lifetime, I can truly say I have never felt healthier, happier and less stressed. 

After almost 3 years of balls against the wall (I'm sorry I can really think of no other way to describe it and know the metaphor is not anatomically accurate 😏), studying and learning and putting myself out there I now have time to REST. I have time to BREATHE. I have time to cultivate new and other passions. I began piano lessons and am learning very quickly, or so my instructor assures me. BTW, she is the nicest person ever and told me she feels silly giving lessons to someone who is "a professional," to which I replied, "Why? I want to learn piano and you know how to teach it." Turns out she has always wanted to be a nurse while I have always wanted to play piano! Don't we all need that perspective sometimes? I have been doing beginning watercolor courses and am by no means learning this quickly, but I enjoy it. I have attended aqua core aerobics weekly now with my mom at the local pool. I tried out in-person yoga classes and have now been to 2 different offerings, loved both, and got a membership! I am getting massages every few weeks, helping Barrett grow a garden, and enjoying time on the lake with my kids. We have taken up paddle-boarding (which is fun-ish) and paddle-board yoga (which is WAY more fun). There is time for bubble baths, jacuzzi soaks, movies, and books-so many books! I have read over 70 this year so far which is an all time record for me. I have shopped (within reason), visited with family. Barrett and I even did a promotional photo shoot for a friend where we GOT IN the Oregon coast water, and we love the pics!! It was so special as we celebrate 10 years this month. So this is what time feels like!

Ironically, I was dreading October in some ways when my new job was slated to start because I LOVE this balance. I also know that like being on vacation, it must and will come to an end as it is not the best financial plan for me to work so little. Did you notice the past tense there? Thanks to OSBN (Oregon State Board of Nursing) and reduced forces from COVID, etc, etc, my license to actually work as a nurse practitioner is taking forever. So it isn't just passing boards? Nope. Those say that I am knowledgeable enough to apply for my license but the license gives me legal power to be employed under that title. So many steps.  My start date has now been pushed to November and depends on how soon that license comes through so that I can apply for my DEA (to be able to write prescriptions) and get credentialed (so that insurance pays the clinic for my work). Cue frustration and anxiety, which is indeed happening, but I am trying very hard to stay somewhat Zen. I have been welcomed to stay on as an RN in Peds for as long as it takes  and reassured I am still wanted (and contracted) as an NP as soon as all paperwork goes through. I was going to be working full-time in October but at this point will remain half-time in my current role for another month. It is no one's fault, just something that is happening to some people. The licensing timeline is super unpredictable in good years and COVID has not helped. It bothers me to not know for sure when I will work as an NP after all the hard work (will it truly be November or even later?), but I am reminded that God has a plan for me. I also laughed today when it dawned on me (duh) that I have been inadvertently, ironically, and somewhat inconveniently given the gift of more time. So,  I guess that I will take.

Photo cred: Erica Miller Photography

I will continue to develop myself outside who I am professionally. I will laugh, travel some (Washington and Sedona in September and DC and New York in October), and continue to chase and give time to the things that bring me joy including (and especially important) being more present and available to my boys. I am also working in a new to me volunteer role for the clinic on the Youth Mental Health Committee, a role that allows me to help assist in expanding mental health education and access to children and teens and making the process easier to navigate. Also professionally-remember my psych rotation? Well I have the most amazing open job offer to go work in mental health should I go back and get that certification. It makes my heart sing, but is also something that is more time, study, and hard work intensive when I already have a great job lined up. I am not even sure how I would balance obtaining the cert with the new job when I do start that (and I want to be in my role long enough to make me worth the investment). My clinic has been amazing to me. So...I stay the course and time will tell if/when I seek that, but it is so, so good to know I have options and a home wherever I land. 

Best summer ever? Yeah, I think so. 

Below are some recommendations on things I love/have enjoyed that have made my summer amazing. 

Yours, 

Sarah


  • Book of the Month Club: https://www.mybotm.com/096med629cmwvcxr?show_box=true
  • Heading to one in a few weeks-Murder Mystery
    Dinner: https://www.thedinnerdetective.com/portland/
  • Amazing yoga classes: https://allrootsyoga.com/
  • Aqua aerobics and aqua yoga: https://www.lebanonpool.org/gallery
  • Where I am headed in September: https://sedonamagoretreat.org/planyourstay/
  • Massage-highly recommend Sara: https://easternflowmassage.com/
  • Skillshare (free for 1 month) painting classes: https://www.skillshare.com/signup?redirectTo=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.skillshare.com%2Fmembership%2Fcheckout
  • Wonderful photographer: https://www.facebook.com/EricaMillerPhotography1/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sarah Who Wanders -Travel Series Part 1: Introduction

The Career Happiness Scale....Where do you Rate?

Travel Bucket List Accomplished