Fall Update

 Crazy, overwhelming, exhausting, satisfying, engaging...all these words encompass my life write now. I am in Term 6 of 7, 5 weeks in and dog paddling in a swirling ocean. Thankfully, this girl can tread water tirelessly for quite awhile. 😏 They said term 6 would be tough. They (whoever they are) were right. The material is dense. I have hundreds (no joke) of pages full of concepts to learn per week right now. I legitimately am having to buy a 2nd 3 inch binder for the second half of my course. It's THAT much. On top of that is my family medicine rotation-which is also A LOT. I am also still working 16-20 hours per week in my RN job which may not seem like much but with this schedule is also SO SO MUCH. The good news is, I am learning so much too. I am only on social media once a week or so right now and had to drop my side business (which I had largely been ignoring for months). But, life is good. Despite the crazy schedule, tumultuous political climate, a change in custody schedules, AND don't forget a global pandemic. 

Life is GOOD. GOD IS GOOD. 

Finding a moment of respite during a break at clinical

I tend to think in bullet points these days, so here are my updates for you-my friends and family, mentors, mentees, and supporters. 

SCHOOL/CAREER: 

  • Surprisingly, I like family medicine.
    • I could see practicing in it.
  • Unsurprisingly, kids (teens and college aged primarily) remain my favorite age group of patients.
  • I like women's health so far but will see more of it next term.
  • I am excited that my research on screen time and anxiety (with an amazing partner in school) is in the works of being published in Pediatric Nursing Journal.
  • I got certified to insert Nexplanon birth control implants recently-1 more added skill for my resume and future practice.
  • I have 6 months left (so close!), so I am thinking about where I will end up...
    • Family med, Peds, Quick Care type setting?
    • I also love public health
    • I continue to LOVE mental health concerns
    • My favorite type of medicine is preventive care-let's save and help and educate people before they need lots of meds! 

Studying


FAMILY LIFE:
  • My boys continue to flourish. 
    • I am amazed by them truly-with all the changes they are steady, smiling and so talented. 💓
    • We are blessed that their school is back in person with many, many changes and small cohorts, but back nonetheless.
    • Sports are not back yet which is a bummer for 2 athletes.
  • Matthew has gotten his learner's permit and practices driving almost daily.
  • He continues to learn guitar and is on the school worship team (who has to perform via video for the school due to COVID).
  • Forever future-minded, Matt dreams and schemes of medical school in the (not so distant) future.
  • Isaiah continues to excel in piano-his learning is so much more than I imagined. 
  • He is taking art this year in school and LOVES it. 
  • Isaiah is now taller than me (no big feat...but still!). 
  • Barrett and my parents are my biggest fans, supporters, and people who make my days possible. 
    • There is NO way I could be a nurse/mom/NP grad student without them.
      • They literally help me with laundry, feed me, encourage me.
      • They buy me time to be the best mama I can be.
      • And shout out to the wonderful friend who cleans our home twice a month! BEST $$ spent ever to know that my tubs, showers, floors are getting attention when I just cannot. Perk that she has become a friend.
  • After many prayers and 4+ (?) years at our home church, we have joined another that is starting from the ground up. 
    • We (all 4 of us) love it and hope to be more involved, I imagine my boys helping with worship music at some point. 
  • Grandma turned 93 and Grandpa is almost 96, a blessing to have here on the property.
  • 50/50 parenting is finally getting more normal for me, and we do blended family dinners or get togethers weekly so that helps. 
Love to all. 
Sarah


The best days? Cozy at home.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sarah Who Wanders -Travel Series Part 1: Introduction

The Career Happiness Scale....Where do you Rate?

Travel Bucket List Accomplished