How to be Successful at Almost Anything in 5 Steps

Today I got a small email that was a milestone for me. "You are invited to a primary care conference at Harvard Medical School in Boston..." Simmons teamed up with Harvard to offer reduced rates to FNP students as well as practicing primary care doctors, PA's and nurse practitioners to a conference they are putting on. I'm not actually going. The material looked a bit dry to warrant the cost of flying out for a weekend, but I thought I'm here. As in, I have always wanted to be a healthcare provider, and now I am close enough that I am getting invited to these things. Thousands were invited, but still. Harvard Medical School to me is like saying Saks Fifth Avenue to a shopaholic. Or Tiffany's. Something like that. I thought, I am one step closer to achieving my dream. I am actually saving for a solo trip to Victoria, BC, so I choose to go there instead this fall in my plight to prove to myself that I can and am a strong/independent woman, but still. 

I wanted to write about how to be successful, but it's a sticky subject. Do I consider myself successful? If I do, is that conceited, vain? How do we even define success? I don't link it to fame or finances personally. So I sought to find a working definition. I found this definition I really like based on a simple Google search (if only all of life was that easy!): 

One of the great models in life, the late Coach John Wooden, defined success as follows: “Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming. Success is an attitude. Success requires maximum effort."

By this definition, then YES, I am qualified to talk to you about success. Here are my big 5 tips for achieving success in your endeavors, no matter how big or small. 

1. Plan on your success. 
Have you read Girl, Wash Your Face? or Girl, Stop Apologizing? I love Rachel Hollis as well as her husband Dave (who also has a book coming out). I love their in your-face, vulnerable and raw, brand of motivation. One tip she talks about that I agree with 100% is that you need to visualize your success. What does it look like? What are you wearing? Where are you living? What are you doing? I am in a clean and friendly clinic wearing a white coat over stylish clothes. I own this clinic and have decorated it with care. I won't share the rest of my fantasy..but you get the idea. What does your LIFE look like if you accomplish your goals? Also, what does it look like if you don't??

Don't use qualifiers. Maybe, Someday, I Might, If I Finish. I am calling your BS. These are simply loophole phrases offering you a way out when it gets hard. After-all, you only said you might go back to school. Do you want it bad enough? Then plan for your success! Be accountable! Throw these words away and start saying WHEN. "When I am a nurse practitioner, I will treat children, and wear a white coat." And have a housekeeper. And a sports car...but I digress.

Also part of this, know your timeline. I finish in 89-91 weeks. Mine is a bit up-in-the-air as it depends on how quickly I complete my last set of clinical hours, but you get the picture. 90 weeks sounds SO long, but every week down I am CLOSER.


2.  Have gratitude for how far you have already come. 
Sometimes a goal that is a long way off (like 23 ish months from now...?) is tough to commit to and celebrate. Every single day as time passes and I get my work done (more on that to come), I am closer. Be thankful that you are further than you were before beginning, right?   CELEBRATE every small victory! I cross each week off my calendar (sometimes each DAY). I cheer after every exam grade comes up and I am still doing ok. After every run I tell myself how amazing that a girl who hated running, now pounds the pavement twice a week and is working on creating a habit. Cheer yourself on like you would your best friend. Read that again. We often talk so negatively to ourselves, but if a friend made small progress, you would high five her and be genuinely supportive. You should be your own best friend, always cheering, and reflecting with gratefulness on how far you have come so far. One workout in? Holy cow self, Hallelujah-it's so much further than you were when you were sitting on the couch!!! Get it girl! When I run? I literally tell myself I am strong, I feel amazing, and that I can do it. Positive self talk is so important. 

3. Set yourself up for success. 
A night before a run, I lay out my running shoes and clothes. I set my alarm. I wake up with my plan in mind and hit the road ten minutes later (before I can tell myself I don't feel like it or don't have time). It's an additional 35 minutes of my day, and it is a priority to fit it in. I block out study time on my calendar and with my family. These are appointments with myself to work on my goals (mostly) interruption free. I tell them what I expect and how long I think I need. Before Barrett and I began WW, we overhauled the fridge and the pantry. How could we be successful if a freezer full of ice cream was just steps away?  My study space changes, but I always take a few minutes to set up exactly what I will need. I even use the Pomodoro method often which is 20 minutes of focus and then a 5 minute break for stretching, snack or water. Only you know you, but set yourself up so that failure is not on your mind, so that you are prepared to go. This might mean a clean office space, new ballpoint pens, new workout gear, whatever it takes to ensure you use it. 

4. SHOW UP. 
Okay this is the hardest one, not going to lie. You can do everything else right, but without putting in the work, you will get nowhere. You've got to put in the time, effort, drive, passion and commitment. One little step at a time, and I promise if you keep showing up, you will get there. One day. One step at a time. It will be so worth it. Remind yourself why you want it so bad. Remember #1? Envision that. Inch your way closer and closer to that goal. 


5. Take breaks. 
 Actually this one is the hardest for me personally. I once unpacked an entire home in 24 hours without sleeping or doing much else. I am type A++++++++. Seriously.
Do you know what have always been my least 2 favorite sayings of all time???

"It is what it is." Why is it? Why can't I change it? We'll see about that...

"Rome wasn't built in a day."  My famous response to my parents, "That's because I wasn't in charge of building it." I have been saying this since I was like 7!! That should tell you a lot about my personality! Hahaha

The fact of the matter though is that both of those sayings have some merit. Sometimes try as we might we can't change something, only our attitude about it. And as much as we would love instant goals, things take time.

So why does this taking breaks thing matter so much? You will fizzle out if you go 110% passion, drive and commitment ALL the time. Trust me on this. You will burn out. Your health will suffer. Your family will suffer. Take breaks from your goal, and then go back with renewed fire. For me, this is a day or 2 off in weeks that I can manage it from school (most weeks because I stay tightly scheduled and stick to it). No homework, no logging on, no stressing about it. The breaks are so sweet, and I work hard knowing they are coming.

I have a long ways to go, but I am closer each day. I hope this helped some of you with your own goals. I'd love to hear what they are...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sarah Who Wanders -Travel Series Part 1: Introduction

The Career Happiness Scale....Where do you Rate?

Travel Bucket List Accomplished