A New Chapter

There are far fewer people to read my musings these days, since cutting my social media friends (and therefore outreach) literally in half a few weeks ago. I don't mind though. I am beginning a new chapter in my journey, and have a feeling that the blogging and Facebook time will eventually fall to very little. 


Last week I began orientation for my new employer, a large hospital to the south. It was a gruelingly long week of classroom training, written and computer tests and some simulation scenarios reminiscent of nursing school. Each day I joked to Barrett, "What new hell awaits me today?" I miss Peds sooooo much. I have only questioned my decision to leave approximately 1,342,587 times (per day). The funny thing is that I didn't find much satisfaction in the job itself, but the people I worked with and knowing the good we were doing. It would not even be one iota of fairness to say that I dislike my new role, as I have yet to train on my unit. That begins this Thursday-Friday. To say I am anxious would be the understatement of the year. Someone needs to slip me a sedative so that I can calm my nerves regarding the big, scary hospital. I am sure it will be fine. Scary? New? Intimidating and overwhelming at times? All of those things, but also... just fine. My expectations for my new job are actually very low. I need a place where I can work a minimal amount of hours to make a certain amount so that I can go to NP school. I need to do it well to be safe and competent. 
Made me laugh way too hard!

I have not "bought in" to my new position or employer yet, and I suppose that will come in time...or not. Honestly, school is the #1 career priority for me for the next 2.5 years (and I have the complete support of Barrett), so if for any reason my job cannot accommodate my schedule, is too much and I can't cut further back, or just causes me too much stress to be worth it, I will have to go elsewhere. My new manager seems accommodating to school, so my fingers are crossed, but I do know that I have other options (possibly with the clinic, though I need to find just how tied I can be to them and still be placed there as an NP student), but if not home health and nursing home RN jobs abound, and while definitely not my first choice, certainly a flexible option. We have run the numbers again and again, and we need me to work some, but we need 24 hours a week at "clinic pay" and 20 hours a week or a tad less at "hospital pay" (and yes, there is a substantial difference). Currently I am scheduled to work 24 a week at the hospital and estimate 16 hours a month at the clinic.  In all fairness, if we cut out our travel budget and some "fun" money/savings we could have me work one 12 hour shift a week, but we are trying to change things as little as possible, which hopefully will be doable for the 1st year though perhaps not the 2nd when I am in clinical 2 days a week. Not only do I NEED to take school very seriously, but anything under an 83% equals a failed class that can only be repeated once.

So...there's all that. Praying for a job I can tolerate with a schedule that works for school. It seems like it should be fine, but NP school is no joke. It is estimated that I will spend 25-40 HOURS per
week studying plus an additional 4-6 in live classes (done via video conferencing) the first year then ADD another 16 hours per week in clinical the 2nd year. Do the math. It will be like a full-time job already. Add in kids, caring for a home, etc and you can maybe see why I was keen on seeing just how little I can work. 

Classes open in 4 weeks, but I can start studying now, so I am planning on it! Advanced Pathophysiology and Nursing Research here I come! You can follow my journey here. Prayers appreciated. Love to all!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sarah Who Wanders -Travel Series Part 1: Introduction

Travel Bucket List Accomplished